Adding a Modern Touch to Your Traditional Kitchen
Are you fond of your traditional kitchen but wish it had a bit more modern flair? You’re not alone. In fact, an entire design style is dedicated to combining traditional and modern elements. It’s called transitional, and it’s one of the most popular options for renovating your kitchen. Here’s how to add a modern touch while preserving your kitchen’s traditional roots.
- Change the hardware: New cabinet hinges, door handles, and draw pulls can dramatically affect your kitchen’s appearance. For a modern update, choose angular, geometric hardware in satin nickel, brushed bronze, or even matte black.
- Replace your upper cabinets with open shelving: This kitchen trend is usually reserved for modern spaces, but you can incorporate it into your traditional kitchen to create an open, airy, transitional look. Complete the upgrade with a backsplash behind the shelves that extends all the way to the ceiling.
- Modernize the countertop: Speckled granite and veined marble are commonly found in traditional kitchens. For a more modern look, try recycled glass, black quartz, or white solid surface counters.
- Install painted cabinetry: Solid-colored cabinets in white, black, or grey are a modern upgrade sure to remain in style for years to come. If new cabinets aren’t in the cards, you might consider painting your existing ones yourself. Creating a two-tone look is a great way to modernize your kitchen. You can do this either by installing dark lower cabinets and light upper cabinets or dark island cabinets and light cabinets against the wall.
- Put in new lighting: Incorporate contemporary pendant lights above the island or main work area. Modern kitchen lighting is available in infinite varieties with different finishes, sizes, and bulb options to meet your needs.
- Modernize the backsplash: Think outside the box of ordinary subway tiles, and try something bold for your transitional kitchen backsplash. Smooth transparent glass, textured stone, brightly colored mosaic tiles—the options are endless!
- Upgrade to high-tech appliances: Even a primarily traditional kitchen can utilize futuristic features. Home automation, Wi-Fi-connected appliances, and self-adjusting lights make your kitchen fully functional in a 21st-century world.
- Take down a wall: Older homes with traditional kitchens tend to be separated from the rest of the house. If you want to mingle with your guests in the living room, even while putting together appetizers in the kitchen, you’ll need to remove the partitions that block your view.
Small modern touches are easy to incorporate without help, but if you have more drastic changes in mind, it’s wise to consult a professional. Whether you want a designer’s opinion before mixing traditional and modern elements, or you want a team to tear down walls and change the kitchen layout, Capitol Design Build can help. We have over 30 years of experience designing and remodeling luxury kitchens, and the transitional style is one of our specialties! Contact us today at 703-436-6919 to schedule a free, no-obligation estimate. We proudly serve residents in the Lorton, VA area.