Tips on Deciding the Layout, Colors, and Tiles for your New KitchenCapitol Design Build
Have you been daydreaming about your kitchen renovation? It’s exciting to think of the possibilities but can be daunting once you’re actually making decisions. Your kitchen needs to stand the test of time, so you want to make sure you’re choosing colors and finishes that you’ll be happy with for many years to come. Don’t worry- we’ve got some tips to make it easier.
- First, plan your palette. Considering the rooms with which your kitchen connects, select colors that create a harmonious feeling throughout your home. Don’t try to perfectly match every shade, but choose a color to pull the rooms together, thinking about how your kitchen remodel will fit into the big picture of your complete space.
- Consider neutrals. One easy way to plan your kitchen colors is to choose neutral tones for the walls and cabinetry, and then accent them with pops of bolder color. On the other hand, if bright colors appeal to you and fit well with your decor, go for what speaks to you. A word of caution: it’s best to choose countertops in a neutral shade. While walls and cabinets can easily be repainted, a counter in a passe color can quickly make your kitchen feel dated.
- Think about the light in your kitchen. If it’s naturally bright and well-lit, darker colors can look sophisticated. If it’s rather dark, they can make it seem smaller than it is.
- Choose your cabinetry carefully. A small kitchen is best suited by light-colored cabinets, while dark cabinets can make a large kitchen feel cozier. Think about how much space cabinets take up in your kitchen and look for cabinets you’re going to enjoy for many years.
- Pick tiles based on your budget, lifestyle, aesthetic sensibilities, and habits. Think about how much punishment your family is going to give your kitchen and choose wisely. Particularly when choosing the tile for your floor, think about how many people and pets will be tromping around the kitchen floor, and how much work you want to put into cleaning and maintaining it. Note the cost of the tile you’re considering: Some tiles can be cost-prohibitive, and it’s good to know that before you fall in love with something you can’t afford.
- Have some fun with your backsplash. It doesn’t have to stand up to much punishment, and it’s a small area, so your backsplash is the perfect place to express yourself with a bold or decorative flair.
If you’re remodeling your kitchen, Capitol Design Build can help. We’ve been performing custom remodeling since 1989 and building custom, high-end homes in the Washington DC Metropolitan Area for 29 years. We serve businesses and individuals in Virginia, Washington D.C, and Maryland, meeting every need from kitchen renovation and bathroom remodeling to custom home design and building. Feel free to shop our website, call us at (703) 436-2069, or contact us online for a free, no-obligation estimate.